Monday, March 9, 2009

When in doubt, climb. No one ever collided with the sky!

My Dad and I have an complimentary, but interestingly different, appreciation for aviation. The simple description is that I love helicopters that fly low and fast; I am a veteran U.S. Army UH-60 Blackhawk Helicopter Pilot. My Dad is a private instrument airplane pilot who thoroughly enjoys cruising around, gazing over the world at several thousand feet. I find this difference ironically similar to the relationships of many fathers and sons; Dads seem so conservative, and sons are out soak up all of the intense experiences the world has to offer.

Often, my Dad will share his wisdom with me in ways that I never see coming. (This still amazes me to this day. I tried so hard to resist his teachings growing up; he always seemed to sneak them in without me noticing.) One of the things I remember him telling me - when we were talking about flying - was: "When in doubt, climb. No one ever collided with the sky." Of course, this can be taken in its most simplistic form: if ever you are having problems while flying, gain altitude so you have more time before you get to the ground to make good decisions. It also occurs to me now, however, that this lesson is just as valuable in all of the other aspects of my life. By climbing - growing, improving, saving, etc - we are left with a great deal more time and space between ourselves and calamity.

0 comments:

Post a Comment