Monday, March 9, 2009

The Menacing Bear

It is not uncommon for all of us to roll our eyes a bit when those close to us repeat a story we have already heard far too many times. The story of the menacing bear was just one of those stories my dad would tell when I would roll my eyes. I suppose, I should share the story with you:

Josh and Brian were out camping one evening in the backwoods of the North. As they were winding down their day - cleaning up from supper, stoking the night fire, and preparing their beds - they began to hear movement in the trees just beyond their campsite. Josh turned to Brian with a look of wonder in his eyes, which quickly turned to concern as the rustling in the bushes began to circle the camp, growling. As the sound of the growling turned to snarling and began to grow louder, Josh sat down and began to put on his running shows, carefully tying each one. Brian turned to Josh and asked frantically: "Josh, what are you doing, putting on those shoes? You're never going to outrun that bear!" Calmly, Josh turned to Brian and said: "I don't have to outrun the bear. I just have to outrun you."

I smile every time I think of this story because of the comical nature of it. However, the more I consider the meaning of what my Dad was teaching me, the more I appreciate the allegory held within. Earlier I shared about the lessons of "It Depends" and "Analysis Paralysis". This short story is how we keep it all in perspective. No task is insurmountable if viewed with the right attitude. "I don't have to outrun that bear. I just have to outrun you."

0 comments:

Post a Comment